Search The Good Bad & Ugly Gospel Barn

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Homecoming Day - The Gospel Singing Burton Family

I Saw The Light
Wait A Little Longer Please Jesus
Homecoming Day
The Gospel Singing Burton Family
Crusade Enterprises - Flora, Illinois
LP 152

The Burton Family (Cincinnati, Ohio) lists their mailing address (hometown) as Fairfield, Ohio. This album was manufactured by Crusade Enterprises located in Flora, Illinois rather then by one of the numerous local labels (Jewel, Rite Records or QCA (Queen City Album). The cover treatment is different than most local production in that the "art" is a lushly pre-printed affair The art is a sheet of stock glued to a blank jacket with one-color gold ink over printed (title on the jacket).

If I remember correctly, I think, at least a few of the Burtons (Grady Burton, Sr., Grady Burton, Jr., Betty Burton and Danny Burton) did a lot of session work on locally produced gospel albums.

This is a very good effort that captures the Cincinnati, Ohio area "southern country gospel" sound, which I've noticed is unique compared to that heard on records that I've collected that were produced in other parts of the country.

I Saw The Light
Nearer To Thee
I'll Praise His Name
Farther Along
Wait A Little Longer Please Jesus
Homecoming
I Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now
Lord I Need You Again Today
The Answer's On The Way
The Dearest Friend I Ever Had
The Old Gospel Ship
Lord It's Me Again

No comments:

Post a Comment